Our friend, Simon Burfield, put together a fantastic tutorial on how to get the your VEX IQ brain transferring data with your bluetooth enabled smartphone using the VEX Smart Radio and ROBOTC. Who doesn’t want to control their VEX IQ with a smartphone?!?!
And if you were at VEX Worlds 2016, you might have seen the VEX IQ Smart Radio in action with Simon’s robots. Check out a preview below:
To get started, you will need the following:
An iOS device with xcode installed
A way to run ROBOTC 4.5 +
- The VEX firmware update program
The following video tutorial and steps below will guide you through the process:
1) Install the VEX Smart Radio firmware on to the brain
2) Enable Smart Radio in ROBOTC
3) Install the RobotC Smart Radio firmware on to the brain
4) Download the code https://github.com/burf2000/VEXIQ_iOS_ROBOTC
5) Plug a motor in to port 8, a Touch LED in to port 2
6) Install the ROBOTC (BT Demo) program on to the brick
7) Disconnect the brain from the PC
8) Find your Smart Radio ID and remember it (mine was 7436)
9) Run the ROBOTC program on the brain (remember not to be connected via USB)
10) Load code project up and deploy to a iOS device that supports Bluetooth LE
11) Enter your Smart Radio ID in to the App and hit connect
Once connected you should be able to control the motor and the LED!
Have questions? Head over to our ROBOTC VEX IQ Forum and we can help you out.
Do you have a cool ROBOTC project you want to share with the world? If so, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post it on our blog and social media pages!